Classic German Potato Salad
This potato salad is a classic side for any German meal.—Mae Wagners, Pickerington, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds bacon
- 3-1/2 pounds potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced (about 7 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 3
- tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon. In a large bowl, toss bacon
- with potatoes and onion; set aside. In the drippings, combine flour
- and sugar. Combine water, vinegar, salt and pepper; stir into
- skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cream.
- Pour over potato mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve warm. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 467 calories, 34 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.