Classic French Onion Soup Recipe
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir for 10-13 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 30-40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add the broth, pepper and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place baguette slices on a baking sheet; brush both sides with remaining oil. Bake at 400° for 3-5 minutes on each side or until toasted. Rub toasts with halved garlic.
- To serve, place twelve 8-oz. broiler-safe bowls or ramekins on baking sheets. Place two toasts in each. Ladle with soup; top with cheese. Broil 4-in. from heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Classic French Onion Soup(5)
Sort By :
Delicious and super easy! My liquid reduced a lot, next time I'll add an additional can of beef broth. I also added a little Guinness for extra flavor :)
Extremely time consuming, but worth it.
The port wine adds a great flavor to this classic
I love to order onion soup when I go out. This, without a doubt, is as good, or better than any I have tried. A keeper, for sure.
I made this soup on Saturday but didn't serve until Sunday dinner. It was fantastic. I would definitely make it again!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- French Onion Soup >
- Onion Soup >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >