Classic French Onion Soup Recipe
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir for 10-13 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 30-40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add the broth, pepper and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, place baguette slices on a baking sheet; brush both sides with remaining oil. Bake at 400° for 3-5 minutes on each side or until toasted. Rub toasts with halved garlic.
- 4. To serve, place twelve 8-oz. broiler-safe bowls or ramekins on baking sheets. Place two toasts in each. Ladle with soup; top with cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup soup with 1 slice bread and 1 tablespoon cheese: 172 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Classic French Onion Soup
"Real French Onion flavor- better than most restaurants! I used red wine instead of port, and did a lot of tasting for my personal tastes. I only used 5-6 onions, which was plenty. I had only Swiss cheese and it was still very, very good. I'll definitely make it again to share with my family."
"I love French onion soup and this was the most delicious recipe for this soup. I used sherry instead pf port wine and it was perfect. I eye balled all the engredients for 5 people and it came out very tasty for my first try. Next time I will use Gruyere cheese instead of Swiss and I'm sure it'll be better than perfect!!! Thank you for sharing your recipe!"
"Perfect! I didn't have Port so I used sherry instead."
"This is a very good French onion soup. Only downside is the 2 hours it takes to make. I used the Cabernet I had on hand rather than the port."
"Delicious soup! Just what I have been looking for. Skipped the port and it was perfect."
"OMG! This is how french onion soup should taste."
"Yummy. One tip, if you don't have an oven safe bowl, toast the bread as directed and before removing from the oven, place the cheese on top of the bread and heat or broil till melted and slightly browned and then place on top of the soup in your regular bowl."
"Great soup with great flavor. I have made this once before and am doing it again today. I picked this recipe after searching through a lot of others, this was by far the simplest and least time consuming but the flavor is so rich and deep! The first time I followed all the directions exactly and just didn't care for the port, I thought it over powered. This time I used a favorite wine of mine and it was spot on perfect. Added extra onions, broth, butter, and wine this time so I will have plenty left to can. Thanks for a great recipe."
"Found this recipe to be very good! It was easy to make. I used the Gruyere cheese. Everyone enjoyed it!"
"Very rich & filling. Delicious!"
"Made th is for lunch yesterday and it had a very nice flavor, but i would have left out the wine, and used half mozarella and half Swiss.My mother in law liked the soup, but thought the cheese was a little rubbery."
"One word... YUM!" This was my first x making French onion soup. It was perfect."
"Delicious and super easy! My liquid reduced a lot, next time I'll add an additional can of beef broth. I also added a little Guinness for extra flavor :)"
"Extremely time consuming, but worth it."
"The port wine adds a great flavor to this classic"
"I love to order onion soup when I go out. This, without a doubt, is as good, or better than any I have tried. A keeper, for sure."
"I made this soup on Saturday but didn't serve until Sunday dinner. It was fantastic. I would definitely make it again!"