Classic Endive Salad Recipe
This pretty salad is a variation of my mother’s old recipe. Bacon makes it hearty, and water chestnuts add crunch. —Penny Hamilton, Granby, Colorado
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups torn curly endive
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup salad croutons
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Stir the vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper into drippings; heat through. Keep warm.
- 2. In a salad bowl, combine the endive, tomatoes, onions, water chestnuts, walnuts, croutons and bacon. Pour warm dressing over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with eggs. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 172 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Classic Endive Salad
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC