"I keep 2-cup portions of cooked wild rice in the freezer so I always have the ingredients for this casserole on hand for 'emergency' dinners," relates Barbara Wagener of Waconia, Minnesota. "It gets its crunch from water chestnuts, almonds and a sprinkling french-fried onions," she adds.
Recommended: 32 Super-Refreshing Dinners to Make This Winter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) chunk white chicken, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Pour into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; top with onions. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Classic Crunchy Chicken in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p59
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Classic Crunchy Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review