Classic Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 3/4 pound fresh spinach, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook spinach in oil for 3 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to a cutting board; chop. Melt butter in the Dutch oven. Add onion; saute for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg until combined. Gradually whisk in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chopped spinach. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Classic Creamed Spinach(9)
Sort By :
Have been looking for spinach recipes & came across this one. This recipe was great & had a great flavor to it! I decreased the amount of butter & used fresh spinach.
Easy, comfort food. added a bit more nutmeg to taste and garlic at the same time I added the onions. I used frozen spinach for convenience.
Very good recipe. Great way to eat spinach.
This recipe is delicious, and it was easy to prepare. The whole family ate it up.
Forgot to click stars...duh
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Budget Side Dish Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Spinach Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >