Classic Creamed Spinach
Using fresh spinach instead of frozen really enhances the flavor of this classic recipe from Ann Van Dyk of Wrightstown, Wisconsin. The hint of nutmeg makes this side dish even more appealing.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 pound fresh spinach, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook spinach in oil for 3 minutes or until wilted.
- Transfer to a cutting board; chop. Melt butter in the Dutch oven.
- Add onion; saute for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg until combined. Gradually whisk in
- milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Add the chopped spinach. Reduce heat to low; cook,
- uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 318 calories, 27 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 581 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.