- 3/4 pound fresh spinach, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook spinach in oil for 3 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to a cutting board; chop. Melt butter in the Dutch oven. Add onion; saute for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg until combined. Gradually whisk in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chopped spinach. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Classic Creamed Spinach
Sort By :
"So simple and delicious, I'll be making this often."
"This tasted delicious and was very easy to prepare. I modified it just a little. Added a pinch of cinnamon, decreased flour to 1 Tbsp, decreased butter to 3 Tbsp. added 2 oz cream cheese, decreased milk to 1-1/4"
"Have been looking for spinach recipes & came across this one. This recipe was great & had a great flavor to it! I decreased the amount of butter & used fresh spinach."
"Easy, comfort food. added a bit more nutmeg to taste and garlic at the same time I added the onions. I used frozen spinach for convenience."
"Very good recipe. Great way to eat spinach."