- 3/4 pound fresh spinach, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook spinach in oil for 3 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to a cutting board; chop. Melt butter in the Dutch oven. Add onion; saute for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg until combined. Gradually whisk in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chopped spinach. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Classic Creamed Spinach
"Super decadent...maybe because I for whatever reason used 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, a bit of cream cheese and a tad of cracked black pepper just because I love it...not that it isn't fabulous just the way it is!"
"So simple and delicious, I'll be making this often."
"This tasted delicious and was very easy to prepare. I modified it just a little. Added a pinch of cinnamon, decreased flour to 1 Tbsp, decreased butter to 3 Tbsp. added 2 oz cream cheese, decreased milk to 1-1/4"
"Have been looking for spinach recipes & came across this one. This recipe was great & had a great flavor to it! I decreased the amount of butter & used fresh spinach."
"Easy, comfort food. added a bit more nutmeg to taste and garlic at the same time I added the onions. I used frozen spinach for convenience."
"Very good recipe. Great way to eat spinach."
"This recipe is delicious, and it was easy to prepare. The whole family ate it up."
"Forgot to click stars...duh"
"It was quick, used fresh spinachand tasty. The only thing, even though I used the nutmeg, I couldn't taste a big difference."
"This Classic Creamed Spinach recipe is very creamy and so quick and easy! It's comfort food."