Classic Cottage Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook lamb, carrots and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in flour, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth and wine; stir in tomato paste and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas.
- 2. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°. Transfer meat mixture into a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Drain potatoes; mash with milk and butter. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Spread over meat mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Place pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet (plate will be full). Bake 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 476 calories, 30 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 736 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Classic Cottage Pie
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.