Classic Corn Chowder
Chowder is a classic comfort food here in the Northeast, especially during cooler weather. Whenever I make a trip home to Pittsburgh, Mom has this simmering on the stove for me.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the water,
- corn and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 16-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in the milk, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until
- heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield:
- 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without parsley) equals 271 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.