Classic Coq Au Vin Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1-1/2 cups diced plum tomatoes
- 2/3 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in 3 tablespoons oil on all sides in batches. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, carrots, celery and shallots in remaining oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, wine, broth, tarragon, bay leaf and reserved chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with chives. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Classic Coq Au Vin(1)
Sort By :
This recipe has a wonderful flavor and is very easy to make. I omitted the mushrooms and the recipe is still delicious. I added more tarragon because I like the herb.