Classic Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- Confectioners' sugar or favorite frosting
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. When cake is cool, dust with confectioners' sugar or frost with your favorite frosting. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Classic Chocolate Cake(16)
Sort By :
Such an easy recipe and I had everything on hand! It seemed a little dry at first but as it sat for a day it was perfect. Deff will make again!
This is my second cake to ever make from scratch & I was very pleased with it. I've made many cakes from boxes & was a little worried when the batter seemed "thick" after all the ingredients mixed in and I was afraid that it might be dry. I was surprised when I cut into it and was it very springy. It didn't even need frosting.
This cake was amazing! The batter tasted like chocolate mousse. Seriously a delicious cake! I will never go back to boxed mixes again!!
I substituted 1cup peppermint cocoa mix instead of baking cocoa....amazing and holiday-ish minty!! Excellent recipe that I've been nagged to remake!!!
Super easy and turned out great! I live at high altitude, so getting a cake to turn out the way it should is difficult. I used the high altitude adjustments from King Arthur Flour, which gives adjustments for specific altitudes, rather than a generic adjustment. Best cake I've made since moving to 7300 feet!