Classic Chocolate Cake
This recipe appeared on a can of Hershey's Cocoa way back in 1943. I tried it, my boys liked it and I've been making it ever since. I make all my cakes from scratch, and this is one of the best! —Betty Follas, Morgan Hill, California
12-15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- Confectioners' sugar or favorite frosting
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a
- time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking
- soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating
- until smooth after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and
- floured 13-in. x 9-in. pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on
- a wire rack. When cake is cool, dust with confectioners' sugar or
- frost with your favorite frosting. Yield: 12-15 servings.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze unfrosted cake in serving-size portions.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 257 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium,