Classic Chili Recipe
"MOM'S CHILI was the best! She knew just the right ingredients to put her 'stamp' on it. I could eat it with my eyes closed and know it was her recipe! It amazed me that she could put it together in so little time.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute green pepper, onions and celery in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until browned; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add kidney beans. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes longer. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 228 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 540 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC