Classic Chili Recipe
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute green pepper, onions and celery in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until browned; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add kidney beans. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes longer. If desired, serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 228 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein
Reviews for Classic Chili
"So far, it is very bland, and oregano taste isn't pleasing. Will have to doctor up with a little zip,"
"Very good, mild chili!I like the fact that I have all the ingredients on hand so I don't have to go to alot of expense for special ingredients. Froze the leftovers and they were just as good the second time when I used it for chili dogs."
"Awesome recipe! I love it. So easy to make. I used meatloaf mix in place of ground beef and cut the chili powder down to 1 teaspoon which gave it a nice hint of heat."
"My family and I truly enjoy this recipe!! The flavors are fantastic and the amount of chili powder that you use is up to you!! I like chunky chili with plenty of onions and I found the perfect recipe!! I always make this with sweet corn bread and sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top! :) YUM"
"This was a good, filling chili, however it had far too much diced tomato. When I make it again I will use less tomato. Also, I did use beef broth instead of the water, which I am sure helped, but it could still you a tad more flavor. I will try modifying the seasonings. Overall tho I liked the consistency and it was easy."
"this chili turned out great! I did tweak the recipe a little bit, but this is the recipe I will use when I want some good chili."
"I am always trying new recipes. My husband loved it!! Said it was the best chili has had in a LONG time. The only thing I would do is add a little somthing to make the sauce thicker - tomatoe paste??"
"2 tsp. garlic powderbeef broth instead of water3-19 oz cans of ital.stew.tom.1-14 0z can of tom.sauce33 oz. kidney beanscook 9 hrs. on low in slow cooker."