Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Our neighbors and a friend from back home are always after me to make "those yummy potpies". That's all the encouragement I need, since we really like 'em, too!—Ada May Smith, Citrus Springs, Florida.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2-1/4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. In a greased deep 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine the vegetables, chicken, onions and mushrooms; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and thyme until smooth. Gradually add broth and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- 2. Roll out pastry to fit top of dish. Place over filling; trim and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 450° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC