"After working all day, my husband, Todd, and I enjoy this hearty soup along with crusty rolls and a salad," says Nila Grahl of Gurnee, Illinois. "It's real 'comfort' food."
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 10 cups water
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- SOUP INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear, skimming the surface as foam rises.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and bay leaf. Return broth to the pan; add the carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add noodles and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Stir in peas and beans. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until beans and noodles are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Classic Chicken Noodle Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p18
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review