- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 10 cups water
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- SOUP INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear, skimming the surface as foam rises.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and bay leaf. Return broth to the pan; add the carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add noodles and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Stir in peas and beans. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until beans and noodles are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
Sort By :
"This is my type of chicken noodle soup! I'm using thigh/drumsticks since they are on sale this week. But the skin on the chicken makes it so much more flavorful.! Thanks!!"
"I thought it was rather bland. It seems like there should be more seasonings added after the broth is strained. I added some cajun seasoning & more salt & pepper to give it more flavor."
"This soup was great. I agree with the previous comment and will add more salt (and pepper) the next time."
"I would add a little more salt to the stock next time."