Classic Cherry Pie Cookies Recipe
These cute cookies will be the hit of any cookie tray. The cocoa-based buttercream frosting is piped over the filling to mimic a lattice crust.—Lorri Reinhardt, Big Bend, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 to 10 teaspoons 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 jar (12 ounces) cherry preserves
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into two 6-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2. Unwrap and cut into 3/8-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve piping consistency. Tint frosting with cocoa and food coloring. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; fill with frosting.
- 4. Spread preserves over cookies to within 1/4 in. of edges. Pipe lines across the top of each cookie, forming a lattice. Pipe a fluted edge around the tops of cookies. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 112 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Classic Cherry Pie Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC