Classic Cheesy Zucchini Bake
Ever since a friend shared this classic casserole with me. I actually look forward to our annual bounty of zucchini. This cheesy veggie bake makes a pretty entree or brunch item. I keep the recipe handy, I know I will get requests.
12-16 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini in oil until tender. Stir in salt
- and pepper. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In the same skillet, saute onion until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook
- 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato puree, tomato paste, sugar,
- Italian seasoning and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in
- olives. Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Whisk eggs and Parmesan cheese; pour over zucchini. Bake, uncovered,