- 4-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini in oil until tender. Stir in salt and pepper. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In the same skillet, saute onion until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato puree, tomato paste, sugar, Italian seasoning and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in olives. Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Whisk eggs and Parmesan cheese; pour over zucchini. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Zucchini Bake in Country Woman September/October 2001, p33
Reviews for Classic Cheesy Zucchini Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 22, 2012
"I have been making this since 2009. I love it!! It is a perfect all in one meatless summer meal!I have however, changed it up a bit. I add 1 large green pepper, chopped to the onion and saute both. I have also completely omitted the sugar and add 2 small cans of sliced mushrooms, drained when adding the black olives."
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2010
"I made it before so, I am rating this recipe BASED ON I already know its GOOD!"