- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a large bowl, beat the carrots, eggs, sugars, oil, pineapple and reserved juice until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into pineapple mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Classic Carrot Cake
"I am making this cake the second time in two weeks! I've got out of town guest coming and I can't think of a dessert they would like more. This is the best carrot cake ever! With a few more folks in the house, I don't have to worry about eating the whole thing all by myself."
"Made this today. SO delicious! Could eat the whole pan. Discovered I had less than a tsp of cinnamon. Substituted pumpkin pie spice. Otherwise followed the recipe"
"Made this cake for Easter. It is very good, moist and dense, and the frosting is just sweet enough and a little tangy. It only needed to bake 30 minutes in my oven. I used pecans vs. walnuts (we have a pecan tree) and changed the 2 tsp of cinnamon to 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon plus 1/2 tsp mace; otherwise, made per the recipe."
"Just made this and if I could give it more stars I would. This is delicious. I could have eaten the entire cake. Followed the recipe exactly and can't find a thing bad about it."
"Excellent recipe moist and not too sweet. Highly recommended"