Classic Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup V8 juice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 10 minutes or until outer leaves are tender; drain. Rinse in cold water; drain. Remove eight large outer leaves (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use); set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute 1 cup onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining onion and salt. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well.
- Remove thick vein from cabbage leaves for easier rolling. Place about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling. Place seam side down in a skillet. Top with the sauce.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Add V8 juice if desired. Reduce heat to low; cook 20 minutes longer or until rolls are heated through and a thermometer inserted in the filling reads 160°. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Classic Cabbage Rolls(30)
Sort By :
I have have been using this recipe for years! My whole family loves it. We've even just begun to use the sauce as our recipe for marinara.
My Husband decided to make this and I was surprised on how good they tasted
I hated the fuss, too until I discovered that placing the head of cabbage in the freezer the night before will make the leaves soft and supple when you are ready to use them..
The sauce was very sweet. Filling was good. Most probably not make again.
I have always wanted to try using v8 this sounds fantastic can't wait.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cabbage Casserole >
- Casseroles >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Irish Dinners >
- Irish Recipes >
- Meat Loaf >
- Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Meatloaf Recipes >
- Rice Casserole Recipes >