Classic Butter Pie Pastry
This all-butter pastry makes a flavorful, flaky pie crust that’s easy to handle and bakes up golden brown and beautiful. It’s just like mom’s—only better!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter until
- crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds
- together when pressed.
- For single-crust pie: Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap;
- refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie
- plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond
- edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake according to recipe
- For double-crust pie: Divide dough in half so that one portion is
- slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit