Classic Butter Pie Pastry Recipe
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water
- 1. Combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- 2. For a single-crust pie: Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Fill or bake according to recipe directions.
- 4. For a double-crust pie: Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- 5. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: pastry for one 9-inch pie.
1 piece: 173 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Classic Butter Pie Pastry
"This will now be my go to pie crust! It is delicious and so easy to make."
"Don't know what I did wrong, but the crust came out hard enough to put a dent in a wall! The one star is for my mistake and not your recipe."
"I used this to make a gluten free crust. I used cup for cup gluten free flour and it was really good. Cooked up nice and tasted great too. I give credit to the butter. I only made one crust but did notice the mistake for the double crust. I would just double the recipe for the single crust not a big deal."
"I made this following the directions for the double crust.......... it's not nearly enough for a double crust.If you follow the directions you'll notice that all the ingredients for the double crust is doubled EXCEPT for the flour......... that extra 1/2 c does make the difference so you don't have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H it out."