Classic Beef Wellingtons Recipe
Perfect for holidays, this entree is also impressively easy. Find ready-made puff pastry sheets in the frozen food section.—Kerry Dingwall, Ponte Vedra, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. Sprinkle steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in remaining salt and pepper; cool to room temperature.
- 3. Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 14x9-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut into two 7-in. squares (use scraps to make decorative cutouts if desired). Place a steak in the center of each square; top with mushroom mixture. Lightly brush pastry edges with water. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak; pinch seams to seal tightly.
- 4. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cut four small slits in top of pastry. Arrange cutouts over top if desired. Brush with egg.
- 5. Bake 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Yield: 4 servings.
1 beef wellington equals 945 calories, 51 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 866 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 48 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC