Perfect for holidays, this entree is also impressively easy. Find ready-made puff pastry sheets in the frozen food section.—Kerry Dingwall, Ponte Vedra, Florida
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sprinkle steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and refrigerate until chilled.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in remaining salt and pepper; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 14x9-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut into two 7-in. squares (use scraps to make decorative cutouts if desired). Place a steak in the center of each square; top with mushroom mixture. Lightly brush pastry edges with water. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak; pinch seams to seal tightly.
- Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cut four small slits in top of pastry. Arrange cutouts over top if desired. Brush with egg.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Classic Beef Wellingtons in Taste of Home November 2011, p89
Reviews for Classic Beef Wellingtons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review