- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery (1-inch lengths)
- In an oven-proof Dutch oven, brown beef in batches in oil; drain. Return all meat to the pan. Add onions, tomatoes, broth, tapioca, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Cover stew and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in carrots, potatoes and celery. Bake, covered, 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Classic Beef Stew
"My husband and I loved it. My picky kids really liked it too. I should have doubled the broth as someone suggested. I did use cornstarch instead of tapioca."
"Everyone loved it. I doubled the broth to begin with as suggested and also used cornstarch instead of tapioca."
"Made this for dinner tonight and everyone loved it!! Only changes I made is I floured the beef before browning and added a little merlot wine. It was delicious and the beef was so tender!! So worth the extra cooking time!"
"LOVED IT. this stew is DELICIOUS and turns out PERFECT. I made it four times in two months I strayed from the recipe ever so slightly. I flowered the beef before browning, I sauteed the onions for a few minutes and added about 1/2 cup red wine t onions before I added everything else to the pot. I also threw in about a cup more broth like the other reviewers say. It will be obvious as you see how thick it becomes."
"This was delicious! My entire family loved it."