- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery (1-inch lengths)
- In an oven-proof Dutch oven, brown beef in batches in oil; drain. Return all meat to the pan. Add onions, tomatoes, broth, tapioca, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Cover stew and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in carrots, potatoes and celery. Bake, covered, 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Classic Beef Stew
Sort By :
"Excellent! I will definitely make this again. I needed to add extra beef broth, and I added a splash of red wine. This recipe is a keeper!"
"The stew was a bit dry after the first baking and so added another can of beef broth. That really helped. My husband thought it was bland so he added some hot sauce to his second helping and liked it better. I have added more of the hot sauce to the left overs so will see if it tastes better tomorrow night. Very easy to make which I really liked."
"EX!!!!!.... Great recipe only change was to use cornstarch instead of tapioca...."
"Wow...wow..wow! This stew was awesome! it was a big hit with my family."
"Fantastic recipe. Couldn't stop eating it. I served it with sesame bread to soak up the great sauce. It's a winner!!"