- 5 medium firm bananas
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- Vanilla ice cream or sliced pound cake
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise, then widthwise; layer in the bottom of a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Combine the brown sugar, butter, rum, vanilla and cinnamon; pour over bananas. Cover and cook on low for 1-1/2 hours or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and coconut; cook 30 minutes longer. Serve with ice cream or pound cake. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Classic Bananas Foster
Sort By :
"This recipe is amazing! We definitely love it."
"cootie, According to this chart, http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blalcohol12.htm after 1.5 hours in the slow cooker will still leave 20% of the alcohol behind. Rum extract also contains alcohol. You'd need to find an non-alcohol based extract if you want this with no alcohol content. If you're cooking for a recovering alcoholic, skip this recipe altogether. Just taste of alcohol, even in the absence of actual alcohol, can trigger a relapse."
"Quick question: I don't cook with alcohol much, so will the alcohol cook out of the rum? How would I adjust this recipe to accommodate using an extract instead, or is that not recommended? I would love to make this for my son and I (he's 9) and am concerned about using actual rum."
"regular rum or gold rum"
"Very good made as instructed first time, second time left out coconut - I liked it better without coconut. Just a personal preference. Thanks for submitting :)"