Your guests will be impressed with our home economists' version of a classic upscale appetizer. Cayenne pepper nicely seasons the bread crumb topping.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound kosher salt
- 1 dozen fresh cherrystone clams
- 1/3 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spread salt into an oven-safe metal serving
- platter or a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Shuck clams, reserving bottom
- shells; drain liquid (save for another use). Arrange clams in
- salt-lined pan.
- Combine the bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons parsley, oil, garlic, cayenne
- and pepper; spoon over clams.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until clams are firm and bread crumb mixture is
- crisp and golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 clam equals 34 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.