We had clam fritters every time we went to Rhode Island. I looked for a recipe and finally found this one. Now we have them whenever we want.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges, optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; set
- aside. Drain clams, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set clams aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk and reserved clam juice; stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add the clams and onion.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until
- golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve
- fritters with tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges if desired. Yield:
- 14-16 fritters.