- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges, optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; set aside. Drain clams, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set clams aside. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk and reserved clam juice; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add the clams and onion.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve fritters with tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges if desired. Yield: 14-16 fritters.
Reviews for Clam Fritters
"Just made these and they are so light and fluffy! I did tweak the recipe a bit by adding granulated garlic and dill to the dry mixture and a bit of sour cream to the wet. I also used razor clams. I'm going to make up some more and add some paprika. I suppose you can play with seasoning but the basic recipe is da bomb!!"
"Really good. I used green onions instead and added some garlic and onion powder. Made a Sriracha tartar sauce. Hubby gobbled right down!"
"kcheyoreo why don't you post your recipe of clam fritters so we can try them??"
"We thought these lacked flavor, and I'm sure I followed the recipe exactly. The consistency was good, and they fried up nicely, but they definitely needed to be dipped in tartar sauce."
"I am so excited to try this recipe! Finally, a fun new way to eat clams!"