- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges, optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; set aside. Drain clams, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set clams aside. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk and reserved clam juice; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add the clams and onion.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve fritters with tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges if desired. Yield: 14-16 fritters.
Reviews for Clam Fritters
"Made this recipe and only adjustment made was to add1 tsp. minced garlic and 2 small cans of clams.Absolutely wonderful!"
"Just made these and they are so light and fluffy! I did tweak the recipe a bit by adding granulated garlic and dill to the dry mixture and a bit of sour cream to the wet. I also used razor clams. I'm going to make up some more and add some paprika. I suppose you can play with seasoning but the basic recipe is da bomb!!"
"Really good. I used green onions instead and added some garlic and onion powder. Made a Sriracha tartar sauce. Hubby gobbled right down!"
"kcheyoreo why don't you post your recipe of clam fritters so we can try them??"
"We thought these lacked flavor, and I'm sure I followed the recipe exactly. The consistency was good, and they fried up nicely, but they definitely needed to be dipped in tartar sauce."