Clam Fondue in a Bread Bowl
This savory seafood dip is baked right in the bread bowl and is served hot. I usually buy a sourdough bread bowl, but French tastes really good, too.
—Laurel Leslie, Sonora, California
14 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 round loaves (1 pound each) sourdough bread
- Drain two cans of clams and discard liquid. Drain remaining can,
- reserving the liquid. In a food processor, combine the clams, cream
- cheese, parsley, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chives, salt,
- hot pepper sauce and reserved clam juice; cover and process until
- Cut the top fourth off one loaf of bread; carefully hollow out loaf,
- leaving a 1-in. shell. Set removed bread aside. Fill shell with clam
- mixture; replace top. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil; place on a
- baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut reserved bread and the second loaf into cubes. Wrap in
- heavy-duty foil; place in oven during the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Unwrap bread bowl and remove top. Serve with bread cubes. Yield:
- 3-1/2 cups.