Clam Chowder Recipe
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Drain clams, reserving liquid; set the clams aside.
- 2. In a large kettle, combine the potatoes, carrots, onion, butter, water and reserved clam juice. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the milk, soup, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, until heated through. Stir in clams. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 230 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Clam Chowder
"After reading the other reviews I decided to use cream of celery soup, the taste was unbelievable. I halved the recipe, but still used 2 cans of clams, I omitted the water and used the juice of both the cans that added up to the same amount of liquid. I also used a milk and heavy whipping cream mixture instead of the evaporated milk. My husband loved it, went back for seconds!!"
"It has no clam flavor. The recipe was followed exactly as written but I did double the amount of clams."
"This is wonderful soup! Quick, easy & very tastey. I actually used 3 cans of minced clams with the juice from only 2 as dircted as we like a more chunky chowder. I also added about 1/2 cup of finely chopped celery & a tablespoon of minced garlic when cooking the carrots & potatoes."
"I LOVE this! Added about 1/2 cup chopped celery, a tablespoon of garlic/herb mix that's salt free. Left the salt in the recipe out, and added 2/3 cup of fresh ciams we dug today instead of the canned clams. I'll take it with me to work tomorrow! Thanks for another really wonderful recipe!"
"I used this recipe as my main source for ingredients and just changed a few things. I used regular milk & some cream instead of evaporated milk, added celery, garlic (I think), and used 1lb of baby clams frozen in their own juice (not canned/tinny tasting). I also sautee'd the clams in butter to add to the flavor. I will definitely be using this recipe again, it was delicious! The only thing my husband wished is that there had of been more! :) I LOVE clam chowder and this one was yummy and best of all~homemade! :)"
"Love this recipe! It's really easy, except for the chopping the veggies. Besides that, a family favorite. There's only 2 of us, so the recipe is pretty large, but great for making extra to freeze for later! Love it!"
"Fantastic. Very easy and delicious. Great for company.."