VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 8 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large carrots, grated
- 16 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 pounds bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In two stockpots, bring water and salt to a boil. Carefully add potatoes; cook until tender (do not drain). In another large pan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add onions and carrots to potato mixture; heat through.
- Drain clams if desired. Add the clams, milk, parsley and pepper to vegetable mixture; heat through. Just before serving, stir in bacon. Yield: 60-65 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Clam Chowder for a Crowd in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p54