Clam Chowder for 60 Recipe
When my mobile home park put on a "Soup Day" potluck, this is the recipe I made. Everyone agreed it tasted as good—if not better!—than the version so popular in New England.—Gretchen Draeger, Santa Cruz, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:60 servings
- 30 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 8 cups diced onions
- 1-1/2 pounds butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts milk
- 3 bunches celery, sliced
- 3 cups minced fresh parsley
- 12 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 pounds shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Drain and rinse clams, reserving juice; set aside. In a two stockpots, saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until slightly thickened (do not boil). Add celery, parsley and potatoes and cook until tender, about 45 minutes.
- 2. Add clams and cheese; cook until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Add the reserved clam juice, salt and pepper. Yield: 60 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 286 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC