Clam Chowder for 60
When my mobile home park put on a "Soup Day" potluck, this is the recipe I made. Everyone agreed it tasted as goodif not better!than the version so popular in New England.Gretchen Draeger, Santa Cruz, California
60 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 30 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 8 cups diced onions
- 1-1/2 pounds butter, cubed
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 quarts milk
- 3 bunches celery, sliced
- 3 cups minced fresh parsley
- 12 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 pounds shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse clams, reserving juice; set aside. In a two
- stockpots, saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir to
- form a smooth paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly
- until slightly thickened (do not boil). Add celery, parsley and
- potatoes and cook until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add clams and cheese; cook until cheese is melted and soup is heated
- through. Add the reserved clam juice, salt and pepper. Yield: 60
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 286 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.