This old-fashioned mock chicken dish, actually made of tender perfectly seasoned pork, is one that my mom relied on often during 55 years of marriage. The delicious gravy is so good over mashed potatoes.
-Barbara Hyatt, Folsom, California
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Thread pork on small wooden skewers. Combine the flour, garlic salt
- and pepper on a plate; roll kabobs in flour mixture until coated.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown kabobs in butter and oil,
- turning frequently; drain. Sprinkle with soup mix. Add broth and
- water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10
- minutes or until tender.
- Remove kabobs and keep warm. If desired, thicken pan juices and serve
- with mashed potatoes and kabobs. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 393 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 986 mg sodium,