Citrusy Meringue Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Orange peel strips, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir 1/2 cup hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in butter; keep warm.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high just until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Pour hot filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- 4. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with orange peel if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 306 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 0g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Citrusy Meringue Pie
"Wonderful pie! Makes a nice change from lemon meringue. Husband prefers this to a lemon meringue. Making again tomorrow as a cool dessert on a hot day."
"It took over a week to find this Orange Meringue reciepe on the net, well worth the search. I like the omission of orange zest,lemon or lime juice as other pie reciepe's require. This is a true Orange Menringue Pie!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.