Citrus Sweet Potatoes Recipe
A mild orange glaze lets the taste of sweet potatoes shine through in this nut-topped side dish. "When I was dating my husband, my mother would make this whenever he'd come over for Sunday dinner," recalls Pauline Kelley of St. Peters, Missouri. "We've been married more than 40 years and he thinks I can make it almost as good as Mom did."
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Cut into 1/2-in. slices. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in orange juice concentrate and lemon peel. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with pecans if desired.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are heated through and sauce is bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 93 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC