Citrus-Spiced Roast Chicken Recipe
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Mix marmalade, chipotle peppers, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cumin. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub mixture under the skin.
- 2. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Rub skin with remaining salt.
- 3. Roast 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- 4. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Remove and discard skin before serving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked chicken (skin removed) equals 239 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 409 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 4 lean meat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.