Citrus Sherbet Torte
"When my mother-in-law first served this torte, I thought it was the prettiest dessert I ever saw," recalls Betty Tabb of Mifflintown, Pennsylvania. "Not only does it keep well in the freezer, but different flavors of sherbet can be used to reflect the colors of the season."
12-14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 pints orange sherbet
- 2 pints lime sherbet
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Assorted cake decorator sprinkles, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using an
- ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cool.
- Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife
- around side and center tube of pan; split horizontally into three
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with orange sherbet.
- Top with the second layer; spread with lime sherbet. Top with
- remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with whipped topping.
- Decorate with colored sprinkles if desired. Freeze until serving.
- Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 305 calories, 6 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 278 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.