Citrus Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) lemon yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, lemon peel and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with yogurt. Beat just until combined.
- 2. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough lemon juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with candied lemon and orange peel. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 508 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Citrus Pound Cake
"jje trouve que ces un tr es bon gateau"
"Wasn't a fan....very dry...which was surprising with the yogurt...would not make again...salvaged by making it into strawberry shortcake"
"This is very good!"
"Stonyfield and Brown Cow also make two great-tasting lemon yogurts..."
"Yoplait makes an non diet lemon yogurt, but you need to find a grocery store that carries an abundance of yoplait flavors."
"I wondered about the Lemon Yogurt, thanks for the suggestion. I am making this cake this weekend for Easter!"
"Lemon yogurt is impossible to find. The best I could do was a "diet" lemon creme pie and I worried how the aspartame would cook. It was ok, but if I made it again I think I would try to find a non-lite yogurt in a citrus flavor."
"Nice one!! Will make this again for sure."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.