Tender roast chicken is an elegant dish that's easy to make. We love the tang of orange and lemon slices and the subtle heat from mustard. —Debra Keil, Owasso, Oklahoma
Recommended: 30 Ways to Cook Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chervil or 1 teaspoon dried chervil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 orange slices
- 2 lemon slices
- 2 onion slices
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley, stems removed
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, grind mustard seed to a powder; transfer to a small bowl. Stir in oil, chervil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Rub over outside and inside of chicken; place on a large plate. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Loosely stuff chicken with orange, lemon, onion and parsley. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Roast 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.) Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Citrus-Mustard Roasted Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Citrus-Mustard Roasted Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review