Citrus Meringue Pie Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit peel
- 7 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar. Heat over low heat while beating with a portable mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping down sides of pan. Continue beating until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool for 1 minute. Whisk into egg white mixture; add vanilla and salt. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Set meringue aside.
- 3. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add the grapefruit juice, water, orange juice and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and egg white; gradually stir 1/2 cup hot filling into egg mixture; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in grapefruit peel and food coloring if desired. Pour hot filling into crust.
- 5. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Broil for 30-60 seconds or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 254 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0.550g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1-1/2 fat
Reviews for Citrus Meringue Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.