- until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; cool for 1 minute. Whisk into egg white
- mixture; add vanilla and salt. Beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Set meringue aside.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually add the grapefruit juice, water, orange juice and lemon
- juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and egg white; gradually stir 1/2
- cup hot filling into egg mixture; return all to the pan, stirring
- constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in grapefruit peel and food coloring if
- desired. Pour hot filling into crust.
- Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Broil for 30-60 seconds or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a
- wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store
- leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 piece) equals 254 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 0.55 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.