- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded peeled sweet potatoes (about 9 ounces)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange or lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon orange or lemon extract
- Orange peel strips
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs and orange peel until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, pie spice and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in sweet potatoes.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, orange peel, lemon juice and extract until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Decorate with orange peel. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Citrus-Kissed Sweet Potato Layer Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Citrus-Kissed Sweet Potato Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review