Citrus-Herb Pork Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless pork sirloin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Cut roast in half. In a small bowl, combine the oregano, ginger and pepper; rub over pork. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; add onions.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup orange juice, sugar, grapefruit juice, steak sauce and soy sauce; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat and onions to a serving platter; keep warm.
- 3. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Add orange peel and salt. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and the remaining orange juice until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pork and noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
5 ounces cooked pork with 2 tablespoons gravy (calculated without egg noodles): 289 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Citrus-Herb Pork Roast
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.