- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon each ground cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, honey and molasses. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Let stand 20 minutes. Stir in butter; let stand 20 minutes longer.
- Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, almonds, baking powder, lemon peel, orange peel and spices; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into three portions. Roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; brush over cookies. Let stand until set.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as directed. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Citrus Gingerbread Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p159
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Citrus Gingerbread Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review