Citrus Gingerbread Recipe
There are lots of orange and pecan trees here in Arizona, so this recipe is representative of our region. It's one of my favorite desserts. I'm retired and love to cook.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup chopped sectioned oranges (without membrane)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar and orange peel, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in molasses. Fold in oranges and pecans. Pour into greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with orange peel. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Citrus Gingerbread in Country Extra September 1996, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Citrus Gingerbread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review