- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup chopped sectioned oranges (without membrane)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar and orange peel, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in molasses. Fold in oranges and pecans. Pour into greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with orange peel. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Citrus Gingerbread in Country Extra September 1996, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Citrus Gingerbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review