Citrus Ginger-Carrot Soup Recipe
The bright orange color of this cream soup give festive start to a holiday meal. The carrot, ginger and orange juice blend together to deliver a lovely flavored soup.—Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Add the carrots, ginger and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the broth, orange juice and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup equals 117 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 546 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC