Citrus Cranberry Pie Recipe
To showcase abundant fall cranberries, our home economists developed the recipe for this lattice-topped pie. A dollop of orange cream complements the slightly tart flavor.
- 3-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 small navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- ORANGE CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Toss together first eight ingredients.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling.
- 3. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Brush lattice with egg; sprinkle with additional sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 4. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Remove foil; bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. Meanwhile, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining ingredients; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with pie. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Citrus Cranberry Pie
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2011
"Made it for Thanksgiving - everyone gave it a 10!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC