Citrus Cranberry Pie Recipe
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3-1/2 cups fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries
- 1 small navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- ORANGE CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. In a large bowl, combine the cranberries, orange, sugar, butter, flour, lemon and orange peel and salt. Pour into pastry shell.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush lattice crust with egg. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and remove foil. Bake 40-45 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, orange peel and extract; beat until stiff peaks form. Cover and refrigerate. Serve with warm pie. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 515 calories, 29 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 323 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.