Cornmeal adds a rustic quality to this delicate dessert flavored with citrus and almond. It’s sure to be a staple in your recipe collection and also makes a great holiday party hostess gift. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Coat a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat the yogurt, honey, oil, egg, egg whites and extract until well blended. Combine the flour, cornmeal and baking powder; gradually beat into yogurt mixture until blended. Stir in orange peel.
- Pour into prepared pan. Arrange oranges over batter; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Citrus Cornmeal Cake in Healthy Cooking December/January 2011, p33
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Citrus Cornmeal Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2011
"This is a wonderful mix of sweet & savory...even my husband liked it!"