Citrus-Cinnamon Stir Sticks
To add a little zest to hot cider, our home economists came up with these simple stirrers. Once the stirrer is added to the beverage, the orange strip will eventually fall off the cinnamon stick...but that's all right. It will continue to add flavor.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3 medium navel oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 12 cinnamon sticks (5 inches)
- Additional sugar, optional
- Using a citrus stripper or vegetable peeler, cut 12 strips of peel
- from oranges, about 4-6 in. long. In a small saucepan, bring sugar
- and water to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 12 minutes.
- Place one orange strip at a time in hot syrup; cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove orange strip to waxed paper; when cool enough to handle, wrap
- strip around a cinnamon stick. Dip into hot syrup; place on a wire
- rack. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Let stand until dry. Yield: 1
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 82 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.